The research projects of 119 undergraduate and high school students was featured at the 17th Annual Summer Undergraduate Research Fest (SURF), which was held on August 6, 2014 at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). The student-focused conference, which was hosted by the College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences (CNMS), featured a plenary session, two poster sessions, and a closing ceremony. Forty-three faculty mentors from UMBC and neighboring institutions supported the student investigations.
After the welcome by CNMS Dean William R. LaCourse, an interdisciplinary plenary session featured oral presentations on five projects by seven students. Two poster sessions followed the plenary session with each session featuring 56 posters presented and co-presented by student researchers. A traditional closing ceremony recognized the student researchers, their mentors, and their projects. A comprehensive list of the SURF oral and poster presenters, their faculty mentors, and their research project titles, is available on the SURF website.
The annual SURF serves as a culminating event for many undergraduate research programs at UMBC and provides a professional setting for students to present their research; some for the first time. A new offering this year was a SURF Workshop that was sponsored by Summer STEM at UMBC to introduce the event and its requirements to future student researchers. More than 150 persons, including faculty, staff, lab group members and other guests, attended the event, which was made possible by the support of UMBC, CNMS and numerous sponsoring agencies and institutions, including:
- CSST/CRESST – Center for Space Science and Technology / Center for Research and Exploration in Space Science & Technology
- DREU – Distributed Research Experiences for Undergraduates
- HHMI Scholars Program – Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- HPC REU – Interdisciplinary Program in High Performance Computing – A National Science Foundation’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates Site
- JCET – Joint Center for Earth Systems Technology
- MARC U*STAR (Maximizing Access to Research Careers) U*STAR (Undergraduate Student Training in Academic Research) Program – NIH/National Institute of General Medical Sciences
- The Summer Biomedical Research Training Program – The Leadership Alliance, CNMS and the UMBC Graduate School
- UBM –Interdisciplinary Training for Undergraduates in Biological and Mathematical Sciences – National Science Foundation
- UMBC – University of Maryland, Baltimore County